In case you forgot, R.O.B.E.R.T. blocks various malware, ad and tracking domains at the DNS level, on our servers. This has the advantage of working on all platforms, including our desktop apps and mobile apps.
Before, the block list selection was rather limited, and you couldn’t pick and choose which block lists you wish to have enabled. There was also no ability to block custom domains, or whitelist the blocked domains you wish to have access to, for example accessing Google Analytics with the ad-blocking enabled. We spent the last 4 months working on an update, and we’re happy to say that it turned out pretty well. All the limitations of the original R.O.B.E.R.T. have been mitigated, and we’ve added a bunch of new features.
- Individually toggleable block lists — enable or disable specific block lists. You’re no longer restricted to “block levels” as in the original version.
- Custom Access Rules —Create a unique set of blocking/whitelisting rules to control your network your way. No one-size-fits-all model.
- Instant Changes — All R.O.B.E.R.T. setting changes are instant. There is no need to wait or reconnect.
We’ve also expanded the block list selection to 8 categories. Each category encompasses multiple block lists which we’ve combined into one, and removed hundreds of false positive domains via our hand curated whitelist.
- Contain the worst of the worst. Sites that are known to distribute malware, launch phishing attacks or botnet command-and-control servers used to communicate with already infected machines. There is no reason to ever disable this list unless you’re doing malware research.
Ads + Trackers
- One of the most comprehensive ad and tracker blocking lists out there. 4x the size of Easylist, hand curated to remove false positives that plague most community maintained lists.
- Social networks are one of the most pervasive privacy violators out there. Much like with crack cocaine, it’s hard to go cold turkey. We’ll make it easier for you. This list will block all social networks and their associated trackers. If you must use 1 of them, you can whitelist it via a custom access rule.
- Internet is 90% porn, so this list is the biggest one we have. Blocks all sexuality explicit content. Handy on kid-friendly networks and those morally opposed to pornography.
- Blocks all gambling sites. Prevent yourself or your employees from gambling away their cars and homes.
- These sites intentionally, but not necessarily solely, publish hoaxes and disinformation for purposes other than news satire.
- You’re using the best privacy tool out there — Windscribe. Most other VPN companies track you across the web with their ads and compromise your privacy before you even become their customer. Block them all!
- Cryptomining services that mine cryptocurrency in your browser. These can slow down your computer if used covertly.
You can head over to the My Account page to customize your R.O.B.E.R.T.